I came home from work the other day to find a puffed up Glory. She was having an allergic reaction to something. I don’t know what she was reacting to but something didn’t agree with her. Her face puffed up like a stuffed animal. She looked like a Shar Pei. John had been home with her and was watching her and she didn’t get into anything, said she was playing in the living room and then her eye started to swell up then her whole face did. She must of gotten bit by a spider that he didn’t see. Usually that is the case with allergic reactions, most likely a bug bite of some sort. I had some Benadryl on had so gave her that and by morning she was fine.
This allergic reaction just caused her face to swell, some allergic reactions will cause face swelling and hives or just hives. The allergic reactions tend to be very itchy so a trip to the vet is in order to get fast relief. They will usually administer a intravenous injection of a steroid to combat the allergic reaction and keep from anymore signs developing. The animal will then go home on oral antihistamines and/or a oral steroid. Since this was just face swelling on Glory I gave her some Benadryl that I had and a oral steroid without the injectable medication. It takes longer for the swelling to go down when just orals are given. If they have difficult breathing from the reaction then they should be taken to the vet for proper care.